Vascular asterisks (telangiectasia) on the skin can indicate at least ten different diseases, according to hematologist and therapist of the first category Oleg Kuznetsov.
During a conversation with “Doctor Peter” the specialist noted that if the color of the asterisk elements is bright red or purple, they are vascular stars of the arteries and capillaries, and if the cherry blue – these are venules.
According to the specialist, spider veins may indicate the development of varicose veins and at least 9 other diseases:
- Infectious lesions (HIV and AIDS, syphilis),
- severe liver damage (cirrhosis, fibrosis),
- connective tissue diseases,
- pathologies of autoimmune nature,
- diabetes mellitus,
- radioactive irradiation with consequences in the form of radiation sickness.
However, spider veins may also appear in healthy people. In particular, they can accompany weight gain, pregnancy, menopause, as well as forming due to bad habits, repeated physical exertion and prolonged vitamin C deficiency.